So there I was minding my business and getting my coffee; I walked into my Office and I got a "Good Morning, we have a problem 'our SharePoint sites are down....'".
We got 404 errors on all our sites. After some interrogation tactics I found out one of my colleagues was in on Sunday and decided to run all security patches on the servers and go for the re-start. After that everything was black, so I started digging into event logs and log files. I noticed entries about SharePoint not being able to access the content database and schema inconsistency after running the configuration wizard. (we didn’t run that wizard but it seems some update did).
After some googling I decided to try:
Stsadm –o upgrade –inplace –url http://<...>
And that brought everything back!, Pfffff, earned myself another cuppa. And I will make sure that backup can be restored when I need it.
Have a good week!