I know Fitz, just in case you read this, I should not be doing this. But fact of the matter is, I had a WSS 3-content database and no easy way to restore the sites. We have migrated to a different server months ago and some obscure deep down sites were not migrated over. But I did need some files from the Document Libraries. So I wrote a little .net app that accesses the content database directly (I figured Fitz wouldn't mind because that database is not in use anymore) and am now able to see what files are there and restore them to disk.
Just (b)logging this and letting the world know it can easily be done. If anyone has a need for the code they can contact me.